Some web masters simply couldn't wait, some wanted to test JomSocial on Joomla 3 earlier than other, some wanted to integrate their components... but whatever your reason is, we wont go deep into it, the point is that you are having, as many times before said, incompatible version of JomSocial installed on Joomla 3.
This guide will teach you how to properly upgrade your instance with minimum hassle
- post_max_size = 6M; Maximum size of POST data that PHP will accept.
- upload_max_filesize = 6M; Maximum allowed size for uploaded files.
As shown above, this values have been increased from 4MB to 6MB as JomSocial installer in version 3 is 5.1MB in size
For those who would prefer watching the upgrade video instead reading, please refer to video below (watch in full screen)
To properly upgrade the JomSocial 2.8 on Joomla 3 to latest version of JomSocial 3, these are the steps you need to follow.
- BACKUP EVERYTHING - Play safe
- Uninstall JomSocial 2.8 and all its respective modules and plugins - We are sorry guys, but you need to do this. Remember, JomSocial 2.8 is NOT compatible with Joomla 3 and in best possible scenario, you should start from scratch on Joomla 3 or, migrate your Joomla 2.5 site which is covered in other tutorial
- Uninstall ALL third party extensions that are related to JomSocial - For example, but not limited to, JoomlaXI Profiletypes, Kunena, PayPlans, little third party plugins such are Grafitti Walls for example.... in other words, every single third party extension that in some way tries to hook on JomSocial must be removed from system - again, sorry guys, but this is the burden you need to carry for installing uncompatible software on Joomla 3 platform. We told you countless times that it is not compatible right?
- Install JomSocial 3 - Once youre sure JomSocial 2.8 as well as every single third-party extension which is in even minor way related to JomSocial is removed from system, proceed with installing JomSocial 3
- Install third-party - If JomSocial 3 is running properly, now you can install third-party addons back (if they are compatible with JomSocial 3)