This article covers most basic questions and errors you might have or already experienced trying to install, or update your site
Preserving the site state
- Upgrading JomSocial will never delete community information that is stored in the database, such as profile fields, friends, avatars, images, videos, etc. In other words, everything on your community will stay as is.
- It will not interfere with non-JomSocial database tables.
WARNING Be advised however, that:
- All template customizations which do not follow our template override instructions will be deleted.
- All template overrides need to be updated; otherwise you will have a crippled JomSocial with limited JomSocial 3.1 functionality. Please consult your template developer(s) for updates.
- All modifications to any file in /components/com_community and /administrator/components/com_community will be deleted.
- Third party extensions that rely on hacking JomSocial template/core code to work, will likely fail after the upgrade. You will have to redo the hacks (documenting your hacks for personal reference would always help you greatly in the future).
- Always consult third-party developers for updated version of their plugins.
Known Upgrade Errors
Some shared servers limit the size of uploaded files to a mere 2MB. The JomSocial component exceeds this limit so you will have to increase two (2) php.ini settings to be at least 6MB. If you are not sure on how to do this, please consult your webhosting provider for assistance.
- upload_max_filesize = 6M ; Maximum allowed size for uploaded files.
- post_max_size = 6M; Maximum size of POST data that PHP will accept.
Make sure you have unpacked UNZIP-FIRST-JomSocial VERSION.zip before installing the package. In it there will be at least two installers:
- iJoomla-Installer-Updater.zip - Used to automatically install JomSocial on your site
- com_community_ver_X.Y.Z.zip - If iJoomla updater fails, you can use this installer to manually install JomSocial, same as you would install any other component